18 Free Must Have iPad Apps for Teachers and School Administrators
The list below consists of 18 Free iPad Apps that every teacher and school administrator should have. Have a look at the following list and find the Best Free iPad Apps you need to make your teaching life easier!
18 Free Education iPad Apps for Teachers and School Administrators
- Ask3 – free Ask3 is a TechSmith experiment in turning a class of individuals into a high-performing team. Ask3 turns classroom iPads into recordable whiteboards enabling peer-to-peer teaching and collaboration. While anyone can use Ask3, we are seeking input from teachers focused on team-building and student
- Chirp – free Chirp is a magical new way to share your stuff – using sound. Chirp 'sings' information from one iPhone to another. Share photos, links, notes and more: all from your built-in iPhone speaker. What will you chirp? Chirp lets you send information over the air to anyone running the app near you. Use the app to send or receive pictures from your camera, and share with everyone in the room. Chirp is the super-simple way to share that everyone's talking about - download it now.
- ClassDojo for Teachers – free ClassDojo helps teachers improve behavior in their classrooms quickly and easily. It captures and generates data on behavior that teachers can share with parents and administrators. Teachers can use this app to give their students positive behavior feedback and manage their classes, while parents can check on their child's progress at school. Beautiful reports and easy classroom management are all built in - and everything syncs across all of your devices!
- Doodle Buddy - Paint, Draw, Scribble, Sketch - free with ads Doodle Buddy Gold is the most fun you can have with your finger! Finger paint with your favorite colors and drop in playful stamps. Connect with a friend to draw together over the Internet. What makes Doodle Buddy so special? Funny sounds paired with stamps are a blast! Doodle and stamp all over your own pictures. Scribble inside fun stencils to draw perfect shapes. Get more stencils with Doodle Bucks! Text Tool with resizable text and four fonts. Post your doodles on your Facebook page. Draw with other users on the same WiFi network. You may also find useful Best Practices for Teachers Using Facebook.
- Educreations Interactive Whiteboard – free Educreations turns your iPad into a recordable whiteboard. Creating a great video tutorial is as simple as touching, tapping and talking. Explain a math formula... Create an animated lesson... Add commentary to your photos... Diagram a sports play... With voice recording, realistic digital ink, photos and text, and simple sharing through email, Facebook or Twitter, now you can broadcast your ideas from anywhere.
- Find My iPhone – free If you misplace your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac, the Find My iPhone app will let you use another iOS device to find it and protect your data. Simply install this free app on another iOS device, open it, and sign in with your Apple ID. Find My iPhone will help you locate your missing device on a map, play a sound, display a message, remotely lock your device, or erase all the data on it. If the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch you want to locate is running iOS 6 or later, Find My iPhone also includes Lost Mode. Lost Mode locks your missing device with a 4-digit passcode and can display a contact phone number right on the lock screen. And while in Lost Mode, your device will keep track of where it has been and display its recent location history when you check in with the Find My iPhone app. Please note that Find My iPhone must be enabled in the iCloud settings on your device for you to locate it with this app.
- GoClass- free GoClass is a cloud-based teaching and learning platform designed for connected mobile devices in the classroom to enhance the classroom experience by enabling teachers to connect students with lesson plans and learning media on mobile devices. This App allows you to use several GoClass services and features on Apple iPads, iPhones and iPod Touch devices. If you do not already have a GoClass account, you can set one up for free at the GoClass website. Go Class lesson plans are organized into three distinct sections--Show, Explain & Ask--allowing teachers to populate and organize images, documents, videos, URLs, teacher notes and assessments into a structured sequence of lesson plan elements.
- GroupMaker – free GroupMaker is the best app for quickly creating diverse groups. Organize groups based on gender, performance level, or ethnicity. You can also just randomly mix everyone up into groups of 1-20 depending on your needs. You can organize students by ethnicity, gender, or misc. The misc category can be used to sort by mastery, partial mastery, or non-mastery of contents, or anything else along those lines. The misc category is intended be flexible and opaque in the event it is seen by students.
- i-Nigma QR Code, Data Matrix, and 1D Barcode Reader – free i-nigma turns your camera into a sophisticated barcode reader. Thanks to exceptionally quick and robust scanning, it is regularly ranked as top performer in this category.
- iTunes U – free The iTunes U app gives you access to complete courses from leading universities and other schools — plus the world’s largest digital catalog of free education content — right on your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch. Whether you’re majoring in molecular biology at a university, taking Spanish in high school, or just interested in European history, you now have a valuable tool to help you learn anytime, anywhere.
- Mastery Scan - free MasteryScan (powered by GradeCam) is an app that allows teachers to scan plain paper bubble sheets right from an iPad! To get started using MasteryScan, you'll need to create a MasteryConnect account (www.masteryconnect.com - teachers & educators only please). MasteryConnect empowers educators to assess and track mastery of both state and Common Core standards, share common assessments, and connect in an online professional learning community.
- Showbie – free Effortlessly assign, collect, and review student work from anywhere – with Showbie! Showbie makes it easy to collect & review student work on your iPad. Students can: Share files quickly and easily. Express their creativity through various forms of media. Hand in their homework using a computer or mobile device. Showbie also allows teachers to: assign schoolwork digitally, collect student work without printing any paper, review assignments anytime, anywhere.
- Teacher Clicker - Socrative – free Socrative brings smart clickers, student response and ease of use to a whole new level. Engage the entire classroom with educational exercises and games while capturing student results in real-time. Interact with the data to further student understanding in the moment, and review the reports to prepare for future classes. Socrative will even aggregate and grade your pre-made activities! Saving you time, so you can engage more with your students on an individual level. Create a library of activities and share them with your colleagues and learning community. Not a 1:1 school? That’s okay! Have students bring their own devices and join in the learning!
- TED – free The official TED app for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch presents talks from some of the world's most fascinating people: education radicals, tech geniuses, medical mavericks, business gurus and music legends. Find more than 1,400 TEDTalk videos (with more added each week) on the official TED app -- now for both iPad and iPhone. The entire library is at your fingertips to browse at any time, even when you’re not online. Watch TEDTalks with subtitles in over 90 languages directly on your device through our new video player, or use AirPlay to watch them on your home entertainment system. Curate your own playlist. Download full videos to your device and watch them when you’re offline. Listen to an on-demand playlist of TEDTalks audio at any time.
- TinyTap, Moments into Games – free Turn your moments into games! TinyTap is the first user-generated app market that lets anyone create fun educational games from pictures and creative ideas! TinyTap is a free game creation platform that lets parents, teachers and kids create, share and sell personalized educational games! Creating a game is super simple- all you need to do is add photos or images, record questions, trace the answers and you’re ready to play!
- Twitter – free With Twitter, you can watch the world unfold like never before. Get real-time stories, pictures, videos, conversations, ideas, and inspiration all in your timeline. Follow people and your interests to get unfiltered access and unique behind-the-scenes perspectives. Express yourself with photos, videos and comments. Twitter is your global town square. I highly encourage you to read How Can Teachers Effectively Utilize Twitter?
- Weather Channel, The – free With over 200 meteorologists and our ultra-local TruPoint 15-minute forecasting technology, The Weather Channel® helps you plan the best day possible.
- Zite – free Zite is an intelligent magazine that helps you discover interesting things to read. Your Zite is as unique as you are. Zite learns what you like and gets smarter as you use it. Zite analyzes millions of articles each day and brings you the best of your favorite magazines, newspapers, authors, blogs, and videos. Zite also helps you to discover content that you won’t find elsewhere. Zite surfaces fresh voices, different perspectives and unique topics. With more than 40,000 topics to choose from, Zite will guide you to new interests when life gets stale - whether you want recipe ideas, the latest political news or to research an obscure interest. Finally, Zite’s design combines beauty and brains. While Zite is fueled by a powerful discovery engine, we’ve focused on making Zite both clean and simple. You’ll get all the benefit of our powerful technology wrapped in a beautiful design that’s a joy to pick up every day.