The Senior Instructional Designer will be responsible for developing, maintaining, delivering and evaluating formal online educational programs and courses for the general public, by applying instructional design techniques to the content knowledge of university and community faculty.
- Work directly with faculty on course development projects to define educational needs, design course specifications and analyze various options to meet instructional goals; participate actively and influence the direction of formal project teams; establish production schedules.
- Lead and/or direct work of other design and technical staff.
- In collaboration with university and community faculty, identify audiences and needs; determine learning outcomes, design learning activities, write text and create simple graphics and tables for units of instruction for publication in Web-based instructional sites; handle varied assignments and projects increasing in complexity.
- Advise program managers, advisory boards, faculty and department chairs about the design of online and hybrid degrees, programs and courses, including technologies to support production and deployment.
- Provide pedagogical and technical assistance to developers and instructors using selected software tools for creation of online course content.
- Prepare instructional materials for publication and deployment on University Web sites, ensuring consistency of style, design and learner-centered focus; involve or coordinate others in developing procedures to accommodate changes for new initiatives or improvements.
- Chair meetings of online course development teams for degrees, programs and courses.
- Develop documentation for students, faculty and staff related to online degrees, programs and courses offered through distance learning technologies, including Web-based and CD-ROM materials; design and conduct training sessions as necessary.
- Prepare weekly and/or monthly reports on project assignments and statistical reports.
- Coordinate with other departments to ensure clear communication; review documentation developed by other departments to ensure consistency of information to students, instructors and developers; modify documentation and training materials as necessary.
- Plan or initiate improvement ideas that extend beyond the scope or control of current assignments.
- Participate in task forces; may serve on Educational Outreach or University-wide committees.
- Research advances in pedagogically sound Web-based course development technologies.
- Contribute to the overall department goal, mission and administration by participating in weekly planning meetings; work actively with Online Learning staff to keep them informed and seek their input.
- May participate in grant or research projects.
- Perform other duties as deemed appropriate and necessary by the Director of Online Learning.
Competitive candidates will have a broad instructional design and technology background to provide faculty and administrators with a clear perspective about the options for delivering online/hybrid courses, programs or degrees.
Search req # 87866 at www.uw.edu/jobs to apply.
UWEO team members bring their talents to a successful, respected and financially self-sustaining continuing education environment that values collaborative decision-making, innovative solutions and environmentally sound green practices. We are passionate about improving the educational experiences of our students and creating lasting partnerships with campus and our community.
- Master's degree in communications, journalism, English, education or related field and three years of relevant experience.
- Excellent writing, editing and documentation skills.
- Experience in the design, development and deployment of distance learning materials in a variety of academic disciplines using Internet technologies.
- Familiarity with university-level curricula and traditional instructional methods and goals.
- Proven ability to effectively manage projects in a collaborative, team-based environment.
- Excellent diplomacy skills in working with developers, instructors, other staff members and students.
- Experience in developing and conducting training sessions for a variety of audiences.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
Three years’ experience to include:
- creating Web-based, interactive instructional materials;
- experience with a learning management system (LMS), either as an instructor or administrator;
- teaching in a formal educational setting;
- leading projects beyond the typical scope of responsibilities for an Instructional Designer; and
- managing a team of professionals.
Condition of Employment: A satisfactory outcome from a criminal background verification may be required prior to hire.
Part of the application process for this position includes completing an on-line cover letter assessment as well as the Employment Eligibility Assessment to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. The assessment(s) will appear on your screen for you to complete as soon as you select "Apply to this Position" on this job announcement. Once you begin the assessment, it must be completed at that time. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until the assessment is complete.
The University of Washington (UW) is proud to be one of the nation’s premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoys outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits, and natural beauty.
UW Educational Outreach (UWEO), the continuing education branch of the University of Washington, has been building bridges between the UW and communities across the globe since 1912. UWEO provides broad access to and expands the high-quality educational programs of UW by serving the needs of diverse, global communities of learners through innovative, self-sustaining programs. Known for providing its excellent UW Professional and Continuing Education certificate programs and fee-based degree programs, UWEO also provides other gateways to the University including UW in the High School, UW International Educational Outreach, The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at the UW, UW Summer Quarter, multiple on-line learning offerings, conference services and more.
UW Educational Outreach has an outstanding opportunity for a Senior Instructional Designer. Search req # 87866 at www.uw.edu/jobs to apply.
posted by Joanna Andrews
- Senior Instructional Designer position at University of Washington
- Senior Instructional Designer position at UW
- Senior Instructional Designer position at Seattle
- broad instructional design and technology background
- Experience in the design of distance learning materials
- Experience in the development and deployment of distance learning materials
- Experience in developing and conducting training sessions
- three years experience in interactive instructional materials
- experience with learning management system
- The University of Washington
- Joanna Andrews
Founder, eLearning Industry
The eLearning Industry runs the following sites:
► The eLearning Industry (http://www.elearningindustry.com) “The Leading Source for Professionals Involved in the eLearning Industry” (November 2012)
► Viva eLearning (http://vivaelearning.com) “Free Video Tutorials for eLearning Professionals” (December 2012)
► eLearning Feeds (http://elearningfeeds.com/) “The most recent article from the BEST eLearning Blogs and eLearning sites” (March 2013)
► eLearning Jobs (http://elearningjobs.com/) “The Leading Source for eLearning Jobs” (May 2013)
► eLearning Ask (http://elearningask.com/) "An eLearning Questions and eLearning Answers discussions portal" (May 2013)
Currently, the eLearning Industry has a network of more than 75,000 professionals involved in the eLearning Industry.
He is also the Founder and Owner of the Instructional Design and eLearning Professionals’ Group (46K+) (http://www.linkedin.com/groups?mostPopular=&gid=110953), which is the largest online community of professionals involved in the eLearning Industry at LinkedIn.
Christopher holds an MBA, and an M.Ed. (Learning Design) from BGSU and currently works as project manager at http://www.learn-e-pedia.gr S.A. (Antenna Group of Companies), which is the largest interactive learning platform from Greek-speaking students and learners across the Globe.Website: www.elearningindustry.com