The Rich Value of Online Learning
With the advent of Computer Technology and in particular Communication Network, the entire world can now be traveled by just a click of the mouse. Social Media like FaceBook, LinkedIn, Twitter and Google Plus have millions of users from the entire world interacting daily. Shopping is now more convenient on the World Wide Web as consumers can purchase their preferred goods and services from anywhere in the world, and have it delivered at their door steps. The process of having your letter delivered through the Post Office after many days in transit is now over. We can now have our mails delivered in less than 30 seconds by “Email” to anywhere in the world.
ELearning is the use of Information Technology to provide the learning experience to students anywhere they are worldwide at any time. It includes training, the delivery of just-in-time information from universities, colleges and schools. These environments have various learning delivery methods. Some of these methods are
- Multimedia: A mixture of text, graphics, animations, audio and video to deliver learning.
- Interactivity: An instructional strategy that helps a learner practice what they have learned.
- Bookmarking: Allows the learner to stop the course at any time and resume when he feels better,
- Tracking: Reports the learners’ performance within a course to a Learning Management System.
- Simulation: Providing practice with a mock-up of a real system.
- Online Experts: Experts are available 24 hours a day.
- Multiple Bookmarks: This makes page available to access at any time
- Search: Search through a course to find the required information.
- Notes and Highlights: Mark one or more parts that contain valuable information.
Learning on the World Wide Web or what is known as the virtual classroom, is really a duplicate of the real face-to-face classroom. They provide a virtual meeting place for students and teachers, there is an attendance list, slide presentations, audio and video conferencing, application sharing and a shared whiteboard. Interaction takes place through audio and video conferencing. Student can indicate that they want to speak by virtual raise of the hands, and the teacher allows them. There is also instant messaging and chat available.
Students are given online quizzes, projects, assignments, graded discussions, mid-semester examinations, and final examinations as part of their assessment. Learning on the internet has broken down the geographical barriers that prevent learning among citizens of the world. People from all race, nationalities, profession, age, housewives, and many others can now earn their degrees and diplomas from reputed Universities and colleges from the comfort of their home. Here are some of the advantages of online learning:
The Convenience and flexibility of Online Learning:
- Schedule and Flexibility: Courses can be access at any time, and from anywhere.
- Ease of accessibility: Lectures, discussions, explanations, comments and notes can access at any time.
- Control over study time: Student have control over their study time and attendance time.
The Cost-effective choices of Online Learning:
- Money can be saved by students by not having to physically attending class. Saving is ensured from transportation expenditure, and any other that is incurred by having to attend class room sessions.
- Text book cost is cut by the use of internet base libraries and educational websites.
The uses of technology have significant implications on the education system. It has enriched the learning processes by making information very much more available to students through educational websites, online libraries and many more learning tools. The Online learning Environment facilitates interaction, communication, and collaboration among students from various races, cultures, professions and nationalities than can be found in any face-to-face class room environment. The conveniences of studying at your own available time and space have make learning more enjoyable than it has ever been. The ELearning environment is much more superior than any face-to-face class room or lecture theater. It is the one of the best things that have ever happen to education.