5 Advantages Of Becoming An eLearning Professional
Becoming an eLearning professional, can offer a variety of rewards particularly if you are an active member of the community who seizes every opportunity that comes their way. However, there are a number of hidden benefits that are usually not part of the job description. If you thought that Instructional Design was an exciting career field before, then just wait until you learn about the 5 surprising perks that are part of the package. I'll also share 5 tips that can help you take full advantage of these perks throughout your career.
- Learn about new topics on a daily basis.
Humans are curious by nature, and we get to indulge that curiosity every day by learning about new topics, ideas, and concepts. Instead of just focusing on one specific subject, like most people do in their professions, eLearning professionals get the opportunity to explore new subject matter for every eLearning course they create. One day you might need to research negotiating skills for a sales online training scenario, and the next you are discovering all there is to know about a brand new product in order to create a demo. What other profession allows you to become an expert for a day?
- Tip: Take advantage of this perk by scheduling some research time into your daily schedule, even if you aren't working on a project at the moment. This allows you to expand your skill sets and knowledge base, which can also help prepare you for future eLearning course design endeavors.
- Explore the far reaches of the human mind to see what makes us tick.
Psychology plays a major role in Instructional Design. As such, we get the chance to explore learning behaviors, motivational factors, and a wide range of other cognitive processes when creating eLearning courses. We delve into what makes our online learners tick, what drives them to succeed, and why they do what they do. As eLearning professionals, we have access to invaluable data, such as analytics and survey findings, that gives us a glimpse into the far reaches of the human mind.
- Work with talented, like-minded professionals.
We get the privilege to work with talented professionals, such as Subject Matter Experts, graphic designers, and a host of other individuals who are all working together toward a common goal. This also means that we have the ability to cultivate long-lasting and productive professional partnerships with our eLearning team members. While many professionals work at the same office with the same colleagues for years on end, most of us get to collaborate with a new group of people for every eLearning project. This allows us to learn about diverse cultures and meet interesting individuals who enrich our professional lives and broaden our perspectives.
- Tip: Attend networking events throughout the year, such as trade shows, seminars, and professional organization meetups. Don't be afraid to introduce yourself to new people and start building relationships with professionals in your niche.
- Get paid to try out new technologies, tools, and gadgets.
We use the latest and greatest tools, devices, and software to design immersive and interactive eLearning courses for our online learners. Trying out new technologies is part of the job description, because we have to stay on the cutting edge in order to keep up with our modern learners. In some cases, eLearning professionals may be among the first to try an app, online tool, or eLearning gadget, due to the fact that we are always on the lookout for the best tech for our eLearning courses.
- Tip: There are a variety of free or low-cost tools and technologies that you can try out. So, why not test out a new platform every month, or even every week, and gradually build your eLearning design toolbox. This also offers you the opportunity to try out all of the features and functions, and determine how you can get the most out of the software.
- Inspire and enlighten individuals for a living.
Our primary goal is to improve the lives of our online learners and help them achieve their goals. We create meaningful eLearning courses and online training events that inspire them to reach their true potential and equip them with the knowledge they need to succeed. eLearning professionals have the power to make a difference and give people the eLearning resources and online training materials that can improve their work performance. All of these things make it a highly rewarding profession.
- Tip: Conduct eLearning focus groups, surveys, and interviews on a regular basis to learn more about the needs, preferences, and backgrounds of your online learners. Your findings can help you create eLearning courses that are even more personalized and beneficial for your target demographic.
Every eLearning professional will have their own personal list of rewards and benefits that they associate with the job. In fact, if you are debating whether eLearning specialty is right for you, or whether you should stay in the industry, you may want to take a few moments to jot down all of the perks that standout in your mind. Do you have any hidden perks that you'd like to share?
Want to learn more about how to become a successful eLearning professional? Read The Free eBook: How To Become An eLearning Professional and discover hot eLearning tips, secret concepts, specific steps and insider information that will help you become a top-notch eLearning professional.