SmartUp Announces $5.5million Series A Round With Notion Capital And Hong Leong Group
London, 14 February 2017 - Peer to Peer Micro-learning and Knowledge Sharing Platform, SmartUp (smartup.io) has announced a $5.5 Million Series A Round with Notion Capital and Hong Leong Group. The raise is being used to evolve the SmartUp platform to serve the needs of large corporates and startups using the platform to create communities for their teams to learn new skills and exchange knowledge fast and effectively, and take advantage of SmartUp’s learning modules around innovation, rapid prototyping, fintech, AI and more – equipping their teams for the future of work.
Behind SmartUp is the premise that anyone can create their own content really easily and share knowledge openly across an organization. SmartUp’s customers are creating a whole range of different interactive content on the platform - for training, product info, on-boarding new employees, sales material, compliance, innovation and more.
Corporates in particular are looking for 21st Century learning platforms to replace or complement their older generation Learning Management Systems, and are much more flexible. SmartUp is already used by over 100,000 startup founders and teams, and is a perfect tool for companies looking to reduce high spend on expensive one size fits all content systems like Lynda.com and Degreed.com, and start unlocking the knowledge in their own teams.
SmartUp is also attracting the interest of businesses looking to create an external customer and partner “academies”. These can be used for training a wider audience on their product, moving beyond blogs and downloaded PDFs to a micro-learning format where they get feedback from customers on the product material.
The $5.5Million was led by Notion Capital and by Hong Leong Group.
For more information
- Product Overview
- For instance training/learning
- iOS App (Choose “Browse Communities” and you can see some of our clients, and choose “Launch” to see the open community for startups and how it works.)
Why Are Corporates Using Us
- There is a massive trend to cut the face to face/physical classroom style learning and move more to digital. Corporates don’t want to buy inexpensive training material all the time - they want to start developing their own in-house and need easy platforms to do so.
- Corporates don’t want to buy inexpensive training material all the time - they want to start developing their own in-house and need easy platforms to do so.
- Corporates are looking for more training material on innovation, re-skilling their teams, digital mindset, lean prototyping etc. We’ve got a lot of that content to offer them.
- They want platforms that aren’t just about buying content, but also offer the ability to create content.
- They want micro-learning platforms that millennial employees will engage with.
- There is an accelerating trend to move away from attachments (word, Pdf ) to creating documents online.
- Businesses can use us to create internal interactive content platform - particularly for training.
- SmartUp can also be used as an external training platforms - particularly for partner training - i.e. they want to CEO/CMO to understand their product as well as the engineering team.
Frank Meehan is the CEO of SmartUp.io, co-founded with Brent Hoberman (Lastminute.com, Founders Forum) and Henry Lane-Fox (Founders Factory). Previously Frank was the board representative for Horizons Ventures at Spotify, Siri, Summly, Affectiva and many other startups. Frank grew up in Sydney, and started work as a coder for Ericsson in Sweden, working around the world, and eventually was the Global GM for Handsets and Products at the Hutchison Whampoa Group, based in Hong Kong.
SmartUp is the ultimate platform for peer-to-peer knowledge creation, sharing and exchange used around the world by startup founders, companies, innovators, business schools and curious entrepreneurs. SmartUp’s intuitive learning system provides communities engaging and fun ways to contribute and consume bite-sized pieces of knowledge and insight. Its powerful platform unlocks your community’s real knowledge to help every member unleash their potential.
Head of Marketing
T: +1 757 335 5961